Monday, October 5, 2009

Capitalism: A Love Story



This is the first Michael Moore film I have seen. Yes, I admit it, I was not part of the crowd that lined up to see Sicko. In fact, I don't remember that movie coming out. This could be attributed to the fact, that at the time, I could care less about universal healthcare.
I digress...

First, let me point out that I was completely shocked at the turn-out for this movie. It was a mixed crowd of all ages, sex, race, backgrounds, and walks of life. I was more shocked at the +40 years of age turn out. I usually attribute these +40 to be of the of close enough to the Baby Boomers and the vial, Republican, closed-minded, capitalism loving people they are.

Secondly, I was to put a halt to the hypocrisy of Moore versus Capitalism. You cannot criticize anyone who makes a movie about the lack of success of a capitalistic society. Yes, it is hypocrisy. It would be hypocrisy if I myself made a movie "dissing" capitalism, that does not mean a movie should not be made about it.

The irony here is that this movie is funded by Paramount Advantage, a HUGE company founded and ran by capitalists. However, Michael stated in an interview with Jay Leno that he "tricked" the company into funding it to begin with. He knew Paramount would not fund the movie he was working on, so he made them think it was a comedy about the subject. Once he had something to work off of, he showed them the documentary, knew they would like it, and viola!
Now. My opinion on the movie:

I don't like documentaries, but this is not like a documentary I have ever seen, or thought to see. It is filmed nicely, the camera quality is great, there are snippets in between takes, and it is humorous at times. Michael's affection for his home town of Flint, MI is very apparent throughout the entirety of this film.

The research and accuracy of events, statements, and encounters is hard to ignore and Michael does a great job of making his case. Hopefully, some of us 99% will heed his advice and do something about the 1%!

No comments:

Post a Comment