Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Rent



This is my favorite, FAVORITE, movie of all time. I love musicals; and ever since I saw my first Broadway play (The Lion King) in New York City, I love those too. I started writing the review for this movie, and finished the review. Then, I went back and realized that it was 5 pages long complete with a character synopsis. THAT is how much I love this movie. So, I am going to try and make this short, sweet, to the point, and appealing as possible.

This is about 2 couples, Angel (Heredia) & Tom (Martin), and Mimi (Dawson) & Roger (Pascal), and a love triangle... no love square? pentagon? Triangle Joanne (Thoms) and Maureen (Menzel) and Mark (Rapp) and whoever else Maureen feels like Tangoing with, love triangle's journey in drugs, sex, relationship, death, life, recovery, and success. BUT, most importantly, it is about how they are going to pay the years rent, which their "Landlord" Benjamin (Diggs) let slide.

The songs play perfectly into the plot of the story, the actors and actresses really become the characters.

Depending upon where you are in your life journey will depend on how you take this movie. Some people just don't like musicals, some people don't like movies about drug users, and some people don't like homosexuals.

The movie features several characters who are very different, yet they don't judge each other, but try to help one another instead. They all have one thing in common, they are individuals, they are who they are, and they don't care what people or society thinks is "wrong" about he or she.

Expert Says: 5 Stars; liberating, open and tolerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment