Monday, December 7, 2009

Brothers


This movie was different. I love Natalie Portman; her performance in this movie takes me back to her role in Where The Heart Is minus the cheesy-ness.

I was not expecting this movie. We know what it is about and you are not fooled there, BUT the whole premise of the movie is a bit of a sham. There was no affair, the brother didn't take over anything, didn't violate anything, besides a harmless kiss that never happened again; which is just loneliness taking over.

I wanted to see something like what happened in Pearl Harbor! Do you remember that? Friend dies, leaving girlfriend behind and slimy best friend to take care of her while he is dead. Nope. Not in this movie.


Don't get me entirely wrong, the movie was intense and pretty factual in terms of part-traumatic stress syndrome from the war, but it was kind of dumb. I wanted more scandal and less crazy war hero (who, by the way, doesn't like being called a hero - I agree, he was not a hero).

Anyway, the movie should have ended about 5 minutes before it did. That would have made a much more dramatic ending and it would have gone along with the intensity of the movie. Plus, I am sick of these American-happy-endings.

I've heard talk of this movie being Oscar worthy and the acting being Grammy winning. I disagree. The movie was good, but certainly not award winning!
Expert Says: 3 Stars, Intense

No comments:

Post a Comment